The day before: Soak the chickpeas in a bowl of water.
1. The next day, drain the chickpeas. Peel the carrots and the potatoes. Cut all the vegetables and meat into small cubes. Slice the onion and cut up the coriander.
2. In the casserole dish, heat up the oil and brown the onions and the meat together for 5 minutes. Add the vegetables, the tomatoes, the tomato puree, the chickpeas and the coriander. Add the spices, pour on the water, salt and pepper. Mix.
3. Bring to the boil. Then cover and simmer for 50 minutes.
4. Wash the artichokes and place them in the steam basket. At the end of the chorba’s 50 minutes cooking time, place the steam basket on the casserole dish.
5. Cover and cook for 20 minutes. Serve the chorba hot and the artichokes seperately with a mustard vinaigrette.